The Pipe walk conduit

Date

The Pipe Walk

Saturday 19th October 2024.

Every year the Vicar, Churchwardens and people of St Mary Redcliffe walk the route of an ancient conduit given to the parish by Lord Robert de Berkeley in 1190 and give thanks for the gift of fresh water. The historic event asserts the church’s right of way along the 2,514 metre route of an 824 year old pipeline, linking it with an ancient fresh water spring in the Knowle area of Bristol.

The Pipe Walk route covers just under two miles from the spring near St Barnabas Church in Daventry Road through Lower Knowle and Bedminster to Redcliffe Hill. It takes in Victoria Park where first time Pipe Walkers traditionally are ‘bumped’ on one of several old stone markers indicating the route. Also in the park is a labyrinth constructed by Wessex Water in 1984 at the point where the pipe is crossed by a twentieth-century foul water interceptor.

The pipe ends just inside the church gate on Redcliff Hill where a Latin inscription commemorates Lord Robert de Berkeley’s philanthropy. This translates as:

For the health of the soul of Robert Berkeley who gave to God and the church of St Mary Redcliffe and its minister the Rugewell and conduit. AD 1190 erected.

Everyone is welcome to join the walk – starting with coffee at St Barnabas Church, Daventry Road, Knowle at 9.30 am for a 10.00 am start. Refreshments served on arrival at St Mary Redcliffe Church (approx. 12 noon).